Dear America
Dear America,
I am an Arab American feminist, and I am not a terrorist. I do not wear veils. I am not a harem slave. Nor am I a belling dancer. I am just an ordinary Arab American woman. Still, I face oppression and discrimination because of my identity. Honor killings and stonings are not events impacting me in great extends. But, I am judged for who I am in America after 9/11. To understand me and my struggle, you have to discard the deeply entrenched stereotypes and recognize my individuality.
Thanks,
An Arab American feminist
I am an Arab American feminist, and I am not a terrorist. I do not wear veils. I am not a harem slave. Nor am I a belling dancer. I am just an ordinary Arab American woman. Still, I face oppression and discrimination because of my identity. Honor killings and stonings are not events impacting me in great extends. But, I am judged for who I am in America after 9/11. To understand me and my struggle, you have to discard the deeply entrenched stereotypes and recognize my individuality.
Thanks,
An Arab American feminist
Comments
Post a Comment