Dear Harvard Admissions Officer,
You must know that high school isn't a bed of roses. It certainly isn't over here at Mission High. Everyone I know is caught up in a twisted race to the top, clambering over each other and backstabbing friends to succeed in grades and extracurriculars. It might be useful to mention that I am Asian American; does that instantly change how you perceive me? If you read my obviously Chinese name on an application, do you immediately scrutinize my test scores for the slightest flaw or reason to toss me out? I bet the answers are all "yes." While you might not like to admit it, I'm very sure the entire process is biased. Yes, we generally have better test scores and are applying in large numbers. But does that mean you need to treat our applications from the get-go with a higher expectation of academic achievement? Stereotypes are just that: stereotypes. They never represent the whole truth. By buying into the narrative of Asian academic superiority, you are unfairly treating all Asian Americans with learning disabilities, overwhelming family responsibilities, or other conditions beyond their control. Think about the people behind the name and stop putting such a heavy emphasis on grades. You'll only make the stress worse.
Sincerely,
Cassie Zhang
Comments
Post a Comment