Dear Leslie Clark,
I have heard about your concerns with the growing Asian-American population in Fremont and
Mission San Jose High School, and your desire to move to nearby areas such as Pleasanton and
Livermore, which you say have more “feeling for the White community.” I understand how you
might misinterpret us Asian-Americans, and dislike the emphasis we place on education and success.
You might even believe that our parents are abusive, stunting our social growth and forcing us to study
all the time. While that may be the case for some, for me, I push myself not because my parents expect
me to, but because I owe it to them. My parents have gone through so much to put me in my current
position; they worked tirelessly to come to America and buy a house in the Mission San Jose district.
The reason they want me to study hard is because that’s all they can provide me. They don’t have a
vast inheritance. We don’t have a large family fortune. We don’t have connections. The only thing
they can leave me with is an education, and a position for future success. It is for this reason that I
push myself by taking challenging courses and achieving good grades. I know what I’m capable of,
and I owe it to my parents to achieve my full potential. I know you feel threatened by
Asian-Americans, and I know you think us weird and abnormal. But it doesn’t matter to me, for
I’ll keep succeeding.
Mission San Jose High School, and your desire to move to nearby areas such as Pleasanton and
Livermore, which you say have more “feeling for the White community.” I understand how you
might misinterpret us Asian-Americans, and dislike the emphasis we place on education and success.
You might even believe that our parents are abusive, stunting our social growth and forcing us to study
all the time. While that may be the case for some, for me, I push myself not because my parents expect
me to, but because I owe it to them. My parents have gone through so much to put me in my current
position; they worked tirelessly to come to America and buy a house in the Mission San Jose district.
The reason they want me to study hard is because that’s all they can provide me. They don’t have a
vast inheritance. We don’t have a large family fortune. We don’t have connections. The only thing
they can leave me with is an education, and a position for future success. It is for this reason that I
push myself by taking challenging courses and achieving good grades. I know what I’m capable of,
and I owe it to my parents to achieve my full potential. I know you feel threatened by
Asian-Americans, and I know you think us weird and abnormal. But it doesn’t matter to me, for
I’ll keep succeeding.
From,
Melony Fong
Comments
Post a Comment