Dear President Trump,

I hope you’re enjoying your golden toilet, and perhaps using that opportunity to bless the Internet with more incendiary tweets. I’m quite acquainted with this country of yours; I’ve enjoyed the freedom behind bars in MacAllen and the bravery of Border Patrol in violating fundamental rights. Truly the “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.” I am simply aghast at the denial and incompetence plaguing your administration. Mr. President, while you go out of your way to deem the situation at the border a “crisis,” you rally funds behind a wall instead of a helping hand. You stoke anger instead of compassion. You overlook the deplorable detention centers instead of federal inaction. Your rhetoric is the source of the deepening discrimination my people face. By repeatedly emphasizing how we are not a part of your country, you set the stage for unimaginable conflict. But one thing is certain: we will keep coming. You may never hear my name again. But for now, you do. Whether you choose to shove it to the back of your mind or acknowledge it as an opportunity to change holds ramifications for every undocumented “alien” on American soil.

Ungratefully,
Alan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muslim Arab American to Professor of American Identities at Emory University

Open letter to the Mexican Immigrant

A letter to American Feminists