Dear Rachel, 

I cried when reading the proposal part in the book Crazy Rich Asian, and I cried again when watching the movie. How lucky you are that Nick is willing to sacrifice everything for you and you are in true love.

However, I want to know more about your identity as a Chinese woman growing up in the United States. You were brought up by an independent mother, you prioritizes academics and work, and you can hardly speak any Chinese. Your figure seems very different from a traditional figure of the Chinese woman while you can play majiang, a Chinese game, so I am curious about how you view yourself. Turning down Nick when he proposed to you for the first time seemed to be a very American decision (you did not want to be a gold-digger, you can be independent), while you considered Nick and his family in Chinese way (he should obey his parents’ wills). How do you think about yourself? Do you think whether you are a “banana man” or not? How do you think of “banana man”? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Once again, congratulations to the engagement.

Your sincere reader and audience,

Danling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muslim Arab American to Professor of American Identities at Emory University

Open letter to the Mexican Immigrant

A letter to American Feminists