Dear white western feminists,
My feminism is just as valid as yours. While we might not have the exact same issues, or the same experience, our fights are both valid and necessary. It is not up to you to paint the picture of my people, or to tell me what I must fight for. I will not continue to entertain your perception of me because I must advocate from myself. When you do happen to get a glimpse of my experience, do not take it for everything I go through. Do not assume you know me when you would rather paint a picture of who I am in your head, then actually have a conversation. Your narrative is not true for all, and in order for us to truly reach equality on the basis of gender you must be willing to listen to me.
Sincerely,
an Arab feminist
My feminism is just as valid as yours. While we might not have the exact same issues, or the same experience, our fights are both valid and necessary. It is not up to you to paint the picture of my people, or to tell me what I must fight for. I will not continue to entertain your perception of me because I must advocate from myself. When you do happen to get a glimpse of my experience, do not take it for everything I go through. Do not assume you know me when you would rather paint a picture of who I am in your head, then actually have a conversation. Your narrative is not true for all, and in order for us to truly reach equality on the basis of gender you must be willing to listen to me.
Sincerely,
an Arab feminist
Comments
Post a Comment