Letter from a Migrant to President Trump

Dear Mr. President,

I did more than leave my country behind. I left my home. My friends. My family. My culture. My life. Making the decision to leave everything that I hold dear to my heart and undertake the risk of such a periling journey traveling from El Salvador to the United States of America is not only something that you condemn, but you mock. You make us feel insignificant and worthless; you belittle us by calling us animals; you present us to your nation in the form of numbers, not names. The truth is, I did not to come leave everything in my life behind. I chose to out of necessity. Where I am from, life is not just defined by a lack of opportunity for socioeconomic mobility. Where I am from, our lives are threatened every single day. Gang violence and drugs have consumed El Salvador and dominate the control of many towns, cities, and villages. Every day poses a new risk, and in many places, there is no hope to escape this circle of violence. So yes, I came here because there was literally no way I could stay. This is called seeking asylum, not invading. Mr. President, if you truly wanted to prevent people from flooding across your border, you would make an effort to support Central American countries in need, preventing people from needing to come in the first place. But for now, maybe you and your administration should drop the cages, and start leading with some humanity.

From,
Just another one of your nameless aliens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muslim Arab American to Professor of American Identities at Emory University

Open letter to the Mexican Immigrant

A letter to American Feminists